Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Black Medic: A Good Day to Die


Sometimes, where I live, we're lucky enough to get a blast of monsoonal moisture. The accompanying temperatures in the low 70s are a gift after days of temperatures nearing 100.  Of course, plants love this reprieve as much as we do, and I'm happy for that. I'm also happy that all the moist soil makes for perfect conditions for some weed murder - a good day to die. Today I went after the usual suspects I've mentioned previously (the creeping bellflowers and the bindweed) but added a new victim to the list. On my last stroll through my beds, I noticed the tell-tale yellow puffballs of black medic. Unlike the bindweed and bellflowers, this enemy doesn't use its roots to wreak havoc, so fortunately, it's easy to pull it out with a digging tool. It's satisfying, too, because pulling one central root often takes out several thin offshoots. Black medic's real danger lies in its seeds; each yellow puffball matures into a head of seeds that will yield more weeds. Go after it as soon as you notice its yellow face popping up in your garden, or you'll be faced with even more of it next year.



Here's a helpful link to educate yourself about this little weed. Gardening Know-How: Getting Rid of Black Medic  The author is certainly optimistic and tries to convince you that finding black medic in your garden is a great thing because it alerts you to the underlying problem: that you have compacted soil. OK... Whatever, the remedy is to pull it, and by pulling it, I've loosened up the soil. Like a boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment